Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hand Sewing - more from my workshop with Alabama Chanin


I've been a fan of Natalie Chanin's work for a while now. Natalie operates Alabama Chanin from Florence, Alabama, where she lives. That in itself was enough to get my attention. But over the years and as I learned more about Natalie and what she was doing (sustainability, using local artisans, using 100% organic cotton, etc.), the more intrigued I became.


The Alabama Chanin collection is made entirely by hand. I wasn't sure how that was done. So when I had the opportunity to attend one of her workshops, I jumped at it.


I've been sewing most of my life, but I found I needed to unlearn some of the things I thought I knew - such as the proper way to thread a needle and knot thread. Do you know how hard it is to begin a workshop having to unlearn the things you were certain you knew?!? :)





The workshop was a great experience. I'm having a fun time with my skirt project. (I'll keep you posted on progress.) I'm also excited to begin incorporating my newly learned and re-learned sewing techniques in future projects.

I hope you've enjoyed these photos of the Alabama Chanin collection. I can assure you my photography skills do not do it justice. I can also assure you that my hand sewing skills are nowhere near the quality of the artisans who have sewn these pieces. Simply amazing.

Enjoy your day.

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment